Sunday, November 21, 2021

Karura Forest

It's report card season over here and I've been going through a low (not just cause Arsenal got beat 4-0 last night). Living on campus has been an isolating experience leaving me in want of any kind of social life. Efforts to go birding have flopped, I've pretty much given up since I got scammed by a fake car rental trying to go up to Baringo to twitch a Standard-winged Nightjar. 

Well this morning a got up and I said "Screw it, I'm going to Karura Forest to see a Brown-chested Alethe."

I called a taxi and was there by around 8am at the Limuru Gate on the west side. I got dropped off near the Limuru Pond (but skipped it; probably missed a few good birds in doing so) and made straight for the river. I gave a quick thought to security, what with my 5k worth of equipment around my neck, but seeing lots of foreigners/expats around and given the fact that the forest is loosely patrolled and fortified by a tall electric perimeter fence, I felt at ease. 

Great Egret

It was pretty quiet and there were a lot of loud joggers and hikers, but I soon heard the call of an Alethe. I couldn't see it so I gave up and forged onward to find the waterfall. It did not disappoint. Although there were almost no birds, it was a really calm and peaceful place. This must be one of the most magical spots in all of Nairobi. Just before I got to the caves, right smack in front of me was none other than a Brown-chested Alethe perched on the side of a huge buttressed tree trunk at eye level, about 4m in front of me. It sat on the hand rail while I snapped a couple of photos then it flew away, but after waiting a few minutes it came back with what I assume was its mate. I enjoyed several minutes watching them at ease by the river's edge. This would have been a lifer but for a fleeting glimpse we had in Nandi Forest with Kevo, Liz, Jack, Tabs and Mbenge years ago on our legendary Nandi/Kakamega trip. This pair seemed habituated to hikers and joggers and so was easy to enjoy. 




Brown-chested Alethe

Carrying on to see what else I could find, I came across a Narina Trogon which was not shy. It seems with all the people that jog and walk here, the birds have become habituated, making them very friendly to see. I tried to find a Crowned Eagle nest described in Catherine Ngaracha's guidebook but was unable. Following a strange call off the trail, I ran into a White-browed Robin-Chat, some Cabanis's Greenbulls and a troupe of Syke's Monkeys, being followed by a Harvey's Duiker. I assume it follows the monkeys for safety, but perhaps might benefit from a dropped fruit? I hiked all the way to the East Gate (about 4 km across), not seeing much else except for a pair of Northern Double-collared Sunbirds and what I suspect was an immature Great Sparrowhawk zipping by. I heard the sound of a displaying Crowned Eagle off in the distance. 

All in all a pretty decent Sunday morning. 

Narina Trogon (female)

Harvey's Duiker

Karura is an island of habitat in the middle of a sea of urbanization and development. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amboseli Weekend