Saturday, October 1, 2011

The badlands and the black hills

Pictures describe better than words the awesomeness of the badlands:







While there, I had been eagerly awaiting the first ever Ferret Festival, where they would be leading pre-registered guests out into a prairie dog town to attempt at spotlighting a wild ferret. But it was not for another 6 days. Could I wait that long, and would I get bored of the badlands? Luckily, I met this fellow Dane, and we ended up taking his car into the black hills for 2 days. We hiked up the highest peak, 7200 ft Harney Peak. It was host to some unique birds, among which we found this Three-toed Woodpecker which I couldn't stop talking about for hours, making Dane probably think I was some kind of bird freak (he could not have been more correct).


Optimus Prime nodded in stern approval.


At the summit, we watched in amazement as two peregrines played with a prairie falcon. Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IOpakO5OHg

Then we went into a cave. Cousin Balin did not give us a royal welcome, but we did find a huge slice of "cave bacon."


It was almost time for ferret night.

1 comment:

  1. Nice, I remember that cave bacon well from my trip into Jewel Cave. So awesome that you saw a ferret and a badger. I must go back to search for these. Did you stop at Wall Drug?

    Have fun in Yellowstone.

    ReplyDelete

Amboseli Weekend