Sunday, March 28, 2021

Scotland: the Cairngorms (from the archives)

From the archives, here are a few pictures from a weekend trip I did a few years back with my buddy Dominic Cormier back when I was living in the UK. It was a short, whirlwind trip that I never got around to writing up because I was too busy. We battled a raging blizzard on the second of the two days and spotted some amazing birds mainly on the first day. Our main purpose for visiting was to try and see a Capercaillie. I think I got 10 lifers: 

- Crested Tit
- Parrot Crossbill
- Rock Ptarmigan
- Capercaillie (a pair, Dom saw one well and I caught a brief glimpse of them flying through the pines)
- Linnet
- Ring Ouzel
- Black Grouse
- Bar-tailed Godwit
- Black-tailed Godwit
- Willow Warbler

Enjoy the pictures! 


Black Grouse

Red Grouse (same sp. as Willow Ptarmigan so not technically a lifer)

Crested Tit

Red Grouse male

Rock Pipit

Eurasian Oystercatcher

Red Grouse

Eurasian Robin


Mt. Cairngorm searching for ptarmigans

Rock Ptarmigan



Ring Ouzel


Highland Hare


Oystercatcher in the parking lot of the supermarket!


The raging blizzard that made finding an Arctic Loon impossible



Blue Tit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amboseli Weekend