Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Queer Lodgings

One night I was tired of shitty guest houses so I slept on this beach. Getting Winifred over the dunes was a bit of a challenge but once there it was an amazing peaceful beach to myself. 


Then after the sun went down the horizon was dotted with lights of squid-fishing boats, a beautiful experience.


The next day's ride was spectacular.


A couple days later, I ended up somewhere and I needed to find a place to stay. I figured "just stand in the centre of the town and look confused until the english-speaking person comes over and helps me". It took maybe five minutes for this strategy to work, and a guy and his wife came over to talk to me. They informed me there is no hotel anywhere. So I asked if they knew anybody who would put me up if I gave them some money. Well, of course they invited me over to their place and they obviously refused money but I insisted I'd at least buy them breakfast.


Of course the local children were very curious about this tall white guy in the neighborhood, and their shyness was soon overcome by curiosity and we played an epic game of tag until I was soaked in sweat. Then I remembered I had this huge bag of sweets and that's when the kids just went berserk.

Here are my gracious hosts!



1 comment:

  1. Tim, this is awesome! Love your travelling spirit and the kindness shown you by others! Keep on having fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Amboseli Weekend