Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Motorcycle Diaries

After I saw the Top Gear special where Jeremy, James and Richard journey nearly the length of Vietnam on scooters, I knew I someday would do this epic journey!

So there I was, the key to my Honda WIN 100 in my hand, ready to rock.

The scenery was epic.
Luckily for my sake, I was with my trusty step-brother Anthony  for a few days before we parted ways and he went to Laos. It was a good thing I was with him. I was surprised by Anthony's maturity out there traveling and especially admired his positive attitude, which inspired me to always have one no matter the predicament. Our mission was to get from Sapa to Tuuong Xuan, about a 3-day journey. The trip was delayed by 1 day since I crashed into myslef in the first 10 km.

In Vietnam there are mechanics everywhere, and people eager to help. I lost my key in the ditch I crashed into (luckily I combat-rolled over the handle bars and was o.k. - the bike not so much). So a passing "samaritan" pulls over and without saying a word hot-wires the bike for me to get me to the next shop. While Anthony and I entertained the local brats, he fished for me a new key out of a bowl of keys until one of them was compatible.
Anthony's girl getting a weld-job in a backstreet metal shop.



This guy actually drove us out of town to make sure we didn't get lost!
Nothing can get Anthony's spirits down!
A day later when we had actually gotten somewhere, we found ourselves stuck in a traffic jam on a mountain pass in the rain. There was construction, and they weren't letting anybody past anytime soon. Then as luck would have it, an ambulance with screaming sirens came through, so they had no choice but to open the gates. It was like the start of LeMans, everybody squeezing for an opening. I found myself in the middle of a frenzy of motorbikes, horns, and mud as I carefully made sure I didn't screw up the gears, and we made it without a stall! BRING IT ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amboseli Weekend