Saturday, October 15, 2011

The wolves of Yellowstone

Long have I raised my spectacles, ensnaring wild beasts and birds in my view. But nothing prepared my for the epic display I was to witness. Many a daft tourist there are at Yellowstone. They think nature is a David Attenborough special, expecting to witness a large apex carnivore around every bend.

At Yellowstone’s Lamar valley, however, this actually is the case! Through the two days following a midnight slaughter of an Elk by some wolves, a total of about 5 magpies, 20 ravens, 3 bald eagles, 3 golden eagles, 2 coyotes, 7 timber wolves and 2 grizzly bears fed on or attempted to feed on this elk. It was quite a cluster!@#$. Poor Elk. I watched a wolf tear out its entire liver. These photos and videos are but a taste of the action, which was well-spectated!






And check out these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHNfOLv9x-M&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z3a_Ovxhdc&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amboseli Weekend